Montgomery College Exhibits Artwork by Faculty Member on Rockville Campus

“Paper Scraps and Scribbles” Features Works by Michael Sellmeyer Through Feb. 27

Montgomery College features drawings and mixed media pieces in the exhibition, “Paper Scraps and Scribbles: Recent Work by Michael Sellmeyer,” on display at the Sarah Silberman Art Gallery on the Rockville Campus. The exhibition continues through Feb. 27.

Sellmeyer, an art professor and color theory coordinator in the Rockville Campus Art Department, describes an artistic process that relies on intuition and experiment.

“Over time, I have lost enthusiasm for any substantive content; my art has simply become optical entertainment,” the artist said. “I might start with a rock, a seedpod, crumpled paper; anything with which to share the responsibility of the first mark.”

The process continues with “layering materials until hints of light, shadow and texture are still evident, but so removed from the original context that even a common object becomes enigmatic,” he continued. “Material accidents can rival anything I have carefully crafted, and when I juxtapose these unplanned visuals, purpose and importance become evident.”

The gallery is located on the second floor of the Paul Peck Art Building on the Rockville Campus, 51 Mannakee Street, and is open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

For more information about the exhibit, call 240-567-5115 or visit

×Close search
Search