This afternoon, Montgomery College President DeRionne P. Pollard sent a memo to all MC employees…
Montgomery College Offers Summer Youth Programs on Campus
Courses, Camps Offered for Children at Germantown, Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campuses
Do you have a future crime scene investigator looking for a case to solve? Is there a little astronaut in your house who is ready to launch a rocket high into the sky? Or is your young athlete yearning to create a fitness routine? Montgomery College can help you out with fun and educational summer courses or camps for children of all ages.
The Youth Programs division of Montgomery College’s Workforce Development and Continuing Education offers both full and half-day courses. The summer programs allow youth to explore new areas of interest or receive in-depth instruction in their favorite subjects. Courses are taught at each of the College’s three campuses – Germantown, Rockville and Takoma Park/Silver Spring.
Here is a sample of Montgomery College’s summer children’s programs on each of the three campuses, and a complete listing of offerings can be found online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/youth:
- Cartooning, Comic Book Creations, and Graphic Storytelling (Grades 5–9): Students will explore the many forms of cartoon drawings (caricatures, one-panel sight gags, editorial cartoons), comic strips/books (superhero comics, adventurous illustrations, westerns sci-fi and detective comics), long form illustrated narratives (graphic novels, non-fiction subjects) and Japanese manga.
- Forensics 101 (Grades 3-5): This science enrichment program brings hands-on, crime scene, science-related experiences to students. In a safe lab environment, students will experience activities that may include dusting for prints, casting impressions, extracting and observing DNA, learning computer forensics and more.
- Web Design Camp for Boys and Girls (Grades 6-8): This two-week camp session is filled with creative projects designed especially for middle school students. They will create digital graphics and design their own Web site.
- Astronomy Explorations (Grades 6-8): Students will learn new and surprising facts about the solar system, find out about constellations and stars and make their own telescope to keep. Camp also includes a field trip and an opportunity to talk with people who work in the astronomy field.
Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus
- Summer Science Camp for Girls (Grades 5-7): This all-girls camp is designed to get girls excited about scientific discoveries, interact with female science mentors and conduct hands-on science experiments.
- Animal Diversity (Grades 5-9): Students will learn about various organisms and how animals enrich our environment. They will also explore several areas of biology including botany, zoology, anatomy and nutrition. The hands-on activities include actual dissection.
The schedule and cost of each course varies. A complete list of programs as well as registration information is available online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/youth or call 240-567-7264 or 240-567-7917.