Montgomery College President DeRionne P. Pollard Leads Panel Discussion Tuesday, Oct. 5 on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
Please join Montgomery College President DeRionne P. Pollard for a panel discussion exploring the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and US immigration policy and practice. The panel is Thursday, October 5, 2017, 7 p.m. in the Theatre Arts Arena, Rockville Campus.
The recent rescission of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program has created anxiety and uncertainty for many in the Montgomery College community, in the County, and across the nation. For those not directly impacted by DACA there are also questions about how DACA fits into the larger history of US immigration; how it impacts the labor force; and how the complexities of US immigration policy have evolved.
The panel discussion is not designed to provide direct legal guidance for those impacted, but rather to contextualize the DACA decision and allow those most affected to share their journeys and inform our understanding, including DACA students from Montgomery College, who will share their stories at this event. Referrals to resources for legal guidance will be distributed.
The panel includes the following:
- Amanda Frost, JD, Professor of Law, Washington College of Law, American University.
- Julia Gelatt, PhD, Senior Policy Analyst, Migration Policy Institute.
- Jorge Hernandez-Fujigaki, PhD, Professor, History and Political Science Department Montgomery College.
- Jonathan Jayes-Green ’12, Former Student Trustee Montgomery College, Co-Founder, UndocuBlack Network.
- Bonard Molina Garcia, JD, Professor, Philosophy Department, Montgomery College.
- Sara Monterosso, Student, Montgomery College, DACA Recipient
- Jayesh Rathod, JD, Professor of Law, Washington College of Law, American University, Director, Immigrant Justice Clinic
- Michelle Sardone, MS, Legalization Program Director, Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC)