MdBio Foundation Renews Its Support for Montgomery College’s Biotechnology Students

The MdBio Foundation issued its fifth grant to Montgomery College this past September, providing funding support that will bolster the College’s scholarship funds to biotechnology students.

In total over the last six years the foundation has provided grants totaling $60,000, which has allowed the College to award 65 scholarships to deserving students. Recipients of the MdBio Scholarship demonstrate both strong academic accomplishment by earning a minimum grade point average of 2.5 and financial need.

“Encouraging students to pursue bioscience careers and building a strong workforce for the state’s growing biotechnology sector are important components of our mission,” explained MdBio Foundation CEO Brian Gaines. “We are pleased to help these talented Montgomery College students complete their education and move into biotechnology careers.”

One 2012-13 scholarship recipient, Adele, reported that she became a single mother after the passing of her husband. “Moving to America from Cameroon was a very big step for me. I had just lost my husband and I had to think about my child’s future,” she wrote. “… As of now, my salary alone cannot fully support my goal to get a degree in Biotech. The only way I can realize this dream, my key to a better future, is through this scholarship.”

The MdBio Foundation also partners with the College on other educational initiatives, including the Young Science Explorers Program (YSEP) summer workshop for rising seventh and eighth grade students.

“We very much appreciate our long-standing collaboration with the MdBio Foundation to meet our shared goals of supporting the success of our current biotechnology students and encouraging students at all levels to pursue careers in the sciences,” said Kathy Michaelian, instructional dean for Business/Science/Math/Technology.

Search