Montgomery College Women’s Soccer Coach Named NJCAA Division III Women’s National Coach of the Year Two Montgomery College Players Also Receive National Honors The National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) has selected Kelly Wakeman, head coach of the national champion Montgomery College women’s soccer team recently as National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division III Women’s Soccer Coach of the Year. Wakeman received the honor NSCAA awards banquet in Kansas City last week. In selecting Wakeman, the NSCAA sited Montgomery College’s record of 17-3 on its way to the 2011 NJCAA Division III national title, a dominant run that saw them outscore their opponents 65-16. In five seasons at the Montgomery College helm, Wakeman has a career record of 69-22-1 and was either the Region XX champion or runner-up each of her first four years.

“I am honored to receive this award as the NSCAA is a great organization that supports soccer coaches through education and I have personally benefitted by taking many of their courses,” Wakeman said. “This is the highest award that someone coaching at a junior college can receive, and I contribute much of my success as a head coach to my wonderful assistants, Jillian Maslyn and Kelly Perkins; my volunteer coaches and managers; the support of the athletics staff and administration; and most of all, the dedication of my student-athletes… A coach is only as good as the players they have and I have been privileged to coach many amazing players over the past five years.”

Also honored in Kansas City, Montgomery College sophomores, Sonia Basma and Tina Ramirez de Arellano, named first team All-Americans. Basma was also an All-American as a freshman. Both players were among 22 players recognized at the All-America luncheon held in Kansas City. The NSCAA awards men’s and women’s players at the NCAA, NAIA, NCCAA and junior college collegiate levels, as well as three different divisions of interscholastic play.  The Montgomery College women’s soccer team finished the season ranked No. 1 in the final NSCAA poll. Wakeman, Basma, Ramirez de Arellano and the rest of the 2011 Knights received a proclamation from the Montgomery County Council on Tuesday, January 23 in Rockville, Md.

Search