“The Tempest” Highlights Montgomery College’s WillPower! Celebration of Shakespeare Includes Performances, Lectures and Workshops, April 11–17
In celebration of William Shakespeare, Montgomery College will host “WillPower!,” a weeklong series of performances, lectures, and workshops from April 11–17. Highlighting WillPower! is the Shakespeare play “The Tempest,” performed by Montgomery College students in the Parilla Performing Arts Center, located on the Rockville Campus, 51 Mannakee Street, Rockville, Md. All other events will take place at the Rockville Campus’ Theatre Arts Arena.
The performances for “The Tempest” are Wednesday through Saturday at 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $8 for MC students, MC employees and seniors. For ticket information, go to www.montgomerycollege.edu/Departments/reppac/. Tickets are also available at the door on the day of the event. Other highlights of WillPower! at Montgomery College are listed below.
- Monday, April 11 Lecture: “4-sooth, Shakespeare Counts! Math in the Time of Shakespeare.” Dr. Ken Weiner, Professor Emeritus, Mathematics, from 11–11:50 a.m.
- Monday, April 11 Lecture: “The Four Humours: Medicine in Shakespeare’s Time.” Dr. Barbara Hoberman, Biology, from noon-12:50 p.m.
- Monday, April 11 Lecture: “From Ghosts and Witches to Mathematics and Mechanism: The Nature of Science and How it has Changed Our World View Since Shakespeare’s Time.” Dr. Emmett Holman, George Mason University, from 2–3:15 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 12 Workshop: “Solemn and Strange Music: Discovering the Sounds of ‘The Tempest.’” Mr. James Jacobs, WGBH 99.5, Boston, from 11 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 13 Adrian Webber Memorial Lecture: “’Oh, Brave New World’: Medicine, Magic, and Gender in Shakespeare’s England.” Dr. Stephen Greenberg, NIH, National Library of Medicine, from 1–1:50 p.m.
- Thursday, April 14 Lecture: “Shakespeare in India.” Professor Shweta Sen, English, from 2–3:15 p.m.
For a complete schedule of events, call 240-567-4001 or visit www.montgomerycollege.edu/willpower/. For more information, please contact Rachael Wilson at 240-567-4008 or by e-mail at Rachael.email@example.com.
Support for WillPower! is provided by The Webber Family Foundation. Additional support was provided by Montgomery College’s Arts Institute; the Department of Speech, Dance, and Theatre; and the Department of English Composition, Literature, and Professional Writing. For disability accommodations, please call 240-567-5250.